Monday, March 3, 2008

888 Challenge

I have been feeling the need to be a more well-rounded reader.  I am really good at reading “fun” books, or books about education when I need a boost, but everything else that I feel I should be reading, I have a hard time motivating myself to get to. I have been toying with the idea of making a list of different categories of books I would like to read from, and rotating through them to be sure I have a more balanced approach to reading, but I haven’t done that until now.  I found this challenge here and here, and thought that it sounded like the perfect plan for me.  Granted I am starting two months late, but better late than never, right?   The idea is to pick 8 books in 8 different categories and read them in 2008.  You can double up on 8  books for a total of 56 books.  Here are the books I’ve chosen so far:

Government/History

Spirituality
Rough Stone Rolling (I started this last year, but never finished it...)
Each Ensign from cover to cover this year

Classics (Including Children’s)
Just David  (read the review)
*1984 (read the review)

Education
Help for the Harried Homeschooler
TBD

Harrison’s Readings (as Harrison is reading more books on his own, I have been feeling the need to read them also, so that we can discuss them.)
Isaac Newton (read the review)

Book Club Books
Goose Girl  (read the review)
*1984 (read the review)
The Hiding Place (read the review)
Aunt Dimity’s Death
The Giver
Approaching Zion

Health/Fitness/Nutrition (I’m still looking for selections here.  If anyone has any recommendations I would love to hear them.)
7. The 3-Season Diet: Eat the Way Nature Intended
8. Chris Carmichael's Food for Fitness

VIII. Motherhood
TBD
TBD

*Books that are repeated in another category.
Books I am currently reading.
Books I have completed.

When I finish each book I will try to leave a review about the book and link to it here.  I am excited for this challenge and am hoping that this list and the accountability of posting here, will give me some additional motivation.  Wish me luck!


No comments: