Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Blessed By Books

Last night while I was reading I was suddenly overcome by an immense feeling of gratitude for the books God has placed in my life.  I knew that I wanted to post about it today, but then I remembered that today was Wordful Wednesday and I had wanted to participate this week. Lucky for me, the topic for today is: "I am Grateful".  The list of things I am grateful for is quite long, but today I will focus on this one.  I am grateful for books.  Books have been the catalyst for change in my life more than probably any other factor.  I love this quote about the work of books in our lives.

"A book must be an ice-axe to break the seas frozen inside our soul." ~Franz Kafka 

I have found this to be so true in my life.  Obviously, the books that have had the most profound influence on my life have been the scriptures.  The Bible, Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price are my foundation.  Reading from the scriptures daily gives me the strength and perspective I need to get through each day.  They center me.  I love the way that every time I read them, I can find something new, not because the words have changed, but because they have changed me, and I am now ready to receive additional light.  

"Books can be dangerous. The best ones should be labeled "This could change your life."" ~Helen Exley  

My life has been changed considerably by the reading of a book.  I was led to home school through the reading of a book.  I never would have considered it before I read "The Well Trained Mind".   Reading that book altered my perception of what my children needed versus what they were getting from their education, and helped me see how I could give them better. As doubts arose, I was led to read "Dumbing Us Down"  which helped me see the wisdom in keeping my children home, not just for the academic benefits, but for the social as well.  

"I suggest that the only books that influence us are those for which we are ready, and which have gone a little farther down our particular path than we have yet got ourselves." ~E.M. Forster, Two Cheers for Democracy, 1951

It has been amazing for me to recognize, that as my mind and heart have been prepared to receive the "next thing", God has placed the right book in my path.  With homeschooling I was led to "A Thomas Jefferson Education" when my children and I were beginning to burn-out with The Well Trained Mind.  Once I gained a greater perspective of making learning a more natural part of  home life, I was prepared and was led to read, "A Charlotte Mason Companion", and then Charlotte's own writing on education.  Her "gentle approach" to learning was just what we needed.  Just recently I have been feeling another push to get me moving out of my comfort zone.  I went to the library yesterday to pick up some books I had wanted to read, and happened upon a book I had never heard of before, but it was calling my name.  It is called "Help for the Harried Homeschooler".  I probably don't need to explain why it was calling my name, it has me written all over it, but what I found inside has been quite unexpected and just what I needed.  The section on Character Training has been very enlightening (I will share more about that in a later post). 

"How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book."  ~Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Homeschooling books aren't the only ones that have changed my life, there have been "spiritual books", like "Approaching Zion" and "Mere Christianity".   Although I consider every book that changes me to be spiritual on some level.  "All things are spiritual to God."  There have also been "political books" such as "An Enemy Hath Done This".  All of these books and many more have shaped me into the person I am today.  I am so grateful for the great minds that have gone before and have shared their wisdom in a book.  

"Books are the compasses and telescopes and sextants and charts which other men have prepared to help us navigate the dangerous seas of human life." ~Jesse Lee Bennett


9 comments:

Sea Star said...

It sounds like we went through very a similar journey through Homeschooling book. I think I use pieces of each in our approach to education. Book really do change us. Even the silly novels that we read do change us in some way. Words are powerful things!

We truly are blessed by books.

Ratliffs said...

I LOVE books too! Thanks for sharing all those great quotes!

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written! I am so thankful for books too. As well as the ability to read and understand what they contain!

Have a happy Thanksgiving. :)

Montserrat said...

Books have been a big influence in my life as well. Like Sea Star stated, I think we've been down a similar journey with the homeschooling books too!

Becky said...

I loved this post. I saw so much of myself in it. It was reading McCullough's "John Adams" that I started to think of homeschooling -and my hs reading path went very similar to yours from that point. :)

Thanks for a great post.

Richelle said...

Great post. I love the quotes you shared. I am grateful for books, too.

Angela said...

Amen- I have had the thoughts on my mind! Books have changed my life in everyway!

Rachel said...

I enjoyed reading your post. I have sometimes envied those who are able to home school their children. And it's not just because I would rather have been at home with my son than anywhere else on the planet.

I love to teach; I incorporate it in my current profession and believe it is as beneficial to me as it is to the students.

The thought of homeschooling came up when my son was in grade school. While it was never really an option to quit work and stay at home, I entertained the thought a while anyway.

So now I get to the root of my envy. It wasn't just the circumstances that got in the way. It was what was lacking in me. I am not an organized, self-motivated person. It seems to me that those who home school are amazingly bright and structured. I very literally don't have what it takes to do it, but I wish I did.

And while I can wish I had the qualities it would have taken, I can confidently say that I provided my son the best possible education I could by earning the wages that allowed us to live in an excellent school district.

Someday I hope to be free of all my envy, jealousy, guilt and pride.

Anonymous said...

Great post! I've just been thinking about this for my book group! I want January's meeting to be about the books that have changed our lives and made us better people. Books can do that, and it seems like a waste of time to read books that don't when there are so many that do. I especially love the quotes you've gathered and will be using them :)