Saturday, January 2, 2010

1010 Challenge









This week I realized I had not done as much reading on my 999 list as I would have liked so I decided to start The Scarlet Pimpernel and finnished it on New Years.  I can't believe I had never read it before.  I thoroughly enjoyed the read, even though it was very predictable.  I hadn't added up the number of books I read last year until today, and interestingly enough, I ended up reading the same number as I did in 2008; thirty three.  Even though I have yet to come close to the reading goal for these challenges, I have really enjoyed having some direction for my reading.  I still tend to read way more from the classics category and struggle with getting through books in the non-fiction categories, but at least these lists remind me to branch out a little more.  I sat down today to see if there was a 1010 challenge and was pleased to find one hosted here.   The thing I love about this challenge is that the only requirement is to pick 10 categories to read from in 2010.  The number of books you read from each category is entirely up to you.  No guilt!  That was right up my alley with a new baby and major house renovation on the horizon this year.  I think I will start with four books in each category to see if I can break that 33 barrier, and then go from there.  Wish me luck.  Here are my 2010 selections so far:


I. Spirituality 
   
   1. The Book of Mormon
   2. Each Ensign from cover to cover this year. 3 of 12 completed. (I need to get back to doing this.  2 years ago when I accomplished this it made such a difference in my life.) 
   3. The Old Testament
   4. Gospel Principles
   5. Faith Precedes the Miracle *


II. U.S. Government/History


  1The Making of America: The Substance and Meaning of the Constitution

III. Education

   4. In My Father's House: The Years Before the Hiding Place
   5. Classical Writing Aesop and Homer


IV. Motherhood


   1.Created for Work: Practical Insights for Young Men
   2. Arming Your Children With the Gospel: Creating Opportunities for Spiritual Experiences
   3. The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Families
   4. Mothering with Spiritual Power: Book of Mormon Inspirations for Raising a Righteous Family


V. Book Club Books


   1. Mafia to Mormon: My Conversion Story
   2. Faith Precedes the Miracle *
   3. Mandy
   4. Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace . . . One School at a Time
   5.
   6.
   7.
   8.
   9.
   10.


VI.  Family Read Alouds


   1. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
   2. Just David
   3. Mary Poppins
   4. 
   5.
   6.
   7.
   8.
   9.
   10.


VII. Classics


   1. The Keeper of the Bees
   2. Little Men
   3.
   4.


VIII. Health/Fitness


   1. The Diet Solution: Weight loss, Wellness, and the Word of Wisdom
   2.
   3.
   4. 


IX. Home & Garden


   1. One Year to an Organized Life: From Your Closets to Your Finances, the Week-by-Week Guide to Getting Completely Organized for Good
   2. The Bacykyard Homestead: Produce all the food you need on just a quarter acre!
   3. Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens
   4. All New Square Foot Gardening
   5. 


X. Other


   1.
   2.
   3.
   4.


Books I am currently reading.
Books I have completed.
* Books that overlap categories.


3 comments:

Becky said...

I like your list. I should do one for 2010 but I was so far off the mark in 2009. :) Perhaps I should fill one in in December...with what I actually DID read!

Anonymous said...

Be sure to add "Fasting and Eating for Health" to your diet reads. It is an amazing testimonial about the power of fasting (by a non-LDS doctor, very respected) who noted that certain ailments disappear when patients fast every so often! LOVED it! It also helped me eat better, because he noted that patients who eat healthy foods don't get headaches while fasting, whereas unhealthy eaters struggle to fast because their bodies go through junkfood withdrawal. A *very* powerful motivation to eat better! :)

Anne said...

Wonderful list! I should also start a list like this at the beginning of the year!

Congratulations on another baby and and another girl! What exciting news!

The book the "Muffin Mom" suggested is by Joel Fuhrman and he really is an excellent author! I love his books on nutrition! His books Eat for life and Eat for Health are some of my favorite!