Monday, March 29, 2010

Books and Babies

The title of this post pretty much sums up how I have been spending my time for the last week and a half.  I haven't had much sleep.  It is hard to find time for the little things, like eating, taking a shower, going to the bathroom. . .  My mom has been nice enough to take the kids during the day since C. Bear was born so I have had plenty of time to get to know and enjoy this cute, chubby girl, 


and since I can hold her in one arm, and a book in the other I have gotten in plenty of reading too.  I finished two fun books and have started on another.  I have been sticking to lighter reads, since there are plenty of interruptions with a newborn baby.  The first book I read was one I was actually surprised that I hadn't read yet.  It was Little Men, by Louisa May Alcott.  I love Little Women, but for some reason I have never felt compelled to read Little Men.  Although it is not as good as Little Women, I really enjoyed the book.  It is very idealistic and and somewhat moralistic too, but there were so many great bits of parenting wisdom in it.  I hope I can be as wise and patient a mother to my crazy boys as Jo was to hers.  The other book I finished was by one of my favorite authors.  It was The Keeper of the Bees by Gene Stratton-Porter.  If you have never read any of her books, I highly recommend that you do.  She has some beautiful insights into education, and our relationship with God, nature, and our fellowmen.  This book was no exception.

While we're on the topic of books, Meg posted a list of 10 books she loves to read today and invited others to do the same.  She has a great list, and I have a few books that I think I will be tackling next thanks to her.  Here is my list of 10 books I love (in no particular order).  

• Laddie: A True Blue Story - Gene Stratton-Porter
• Uncle Tom's Cabin - Harriet Beecher Stowe
• Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
• Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
• The Hiding Place - Corrie Ten Boom
• Approaching Zion - Hugh Nibley
• Mere Christianity - C. S. Lewis
• A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens
• An Enemy Hath Done This - Ezra Taft Benson
• Little Women - Louisa May Alcott

I hope you'll post yours too. . .


2 comments:

Jourdan said...

Wow. What a fabulous list. At least five of those are in my top 10, the other I don't believe I've read but will soon! So, thanks! I'd really have to think about narrowing down my top 10 list...

I am dying to know your sweet girl's name and bring you something. When things settle down a bit, maybe we can have you all over sometime?

Spring is so beautiful and such an amazing time to have a baby. I'm glad you are getting to use these calm days to enjoy her. Does your mother live close?

Cellista said...

That's great that the kids can go to Grandma's house! I read a lot the first few weeks too. I'm slowing down now that our baby's getting older and more sociable.

Great list! I love many of those same books. I did this too, it was hard to pick just 10.