Sunday, March 21, 2010

Welcome Baby!


After a long wait C. Bear finally made her appearance into the world at 4:13 am on March 17th.  She was a whopping 10 lbs. 14 oz. and 22 inches long.  Amazingly enough hers was my easiest birth.  I was in labor for only 2 hours and I would say only 15 to 20 minutes of that was really painful.  I guess she made up for all the torture she put me through those 10 extra days she decided to wait before being born.

We had a bit of a scare after her delivery though.  My water broke right before she was delivered and there was a lot of meconium in the fluid.  When she was born she went limp and wouldn't breath.  They had to perform mouth to mouth right away and got her breathing.  I was terrified.  Luckily Doug was calm and said he knew everything was going to be alright.  They then inserted a tube down her throat and sucked out a tube and a half of green fluid.  She started breathing and crying a little more normally, but we had to give her oxygen for about a half hour.  Thankfully, after that everything seemed fine.  She started eating and probably could have done that for the rest of the day if I let her.  We had to watch her closely for the first 24 hours, but she has been thriving since that first scare.  




The kids came to see her a few hours after she was born and were so excited.  They all love their new baby sister, and can't get enough of her, which sometimes drives mom crazy.  They have been such big helpers though, getting me food and water and diapers and whatever else I need.  H. Man even did two loads of laundry for me yesterday which was such a help and so needed.  




Little C. is a little jealous and bothered by the fact that mom can't do all the things with and for her that she normally does.  She still loves her baby sister though and wants to hold her as much as I will let her, despite the fact that she tried to pull a handful of C. Bear's hair yesterday.  Hopefully this phase will pass quickly.



Doug has been amazing as usual.  He has been such a great help and comfort, doting on his new daughter and I and making sure the house stays clean and we all get fed.  He is the greatest husband and father I could ask for.  It will be hard to have him go back to work tomorrow.

We are just grateful to have C. Bear here and healthy and to have the opportunity to embark on this new journey as a family.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats Andrea!

Montserrat said...

You deserve one big HURRAY! So glad everything worked out for you and that Baby C. is healthy.

Becky said...

Congratulations! I'm glad all worked out. I love her dark hair!

Kristi said...

Congratulations! She looks so cute and has so much hair! What a scary experience she put you through. We need to come check her out. If you ever need me to, I can come pick Big C up for a play date. Emerson sure had fun playing with her last night and wearing hats together!

Cellista said...

Congratulations!!! I'm so glad she finally decided to make an appearance and that your waiting is over. I love all the hair! Enjoy your time with a new little one. :)

Ritsumei said...

Congrats on the new baby! She's beautiful.